The dainty Italian Polenta with sausage and mushrooms. If you like Italian food,try this fantastic recipe.
SERVINGS: Serves 6
- 1 lb cornmeal
- 6 pork sausages, lean
- 3 ½ oz extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lb canned tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ oz dried mushrooms, soaked in water and chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leaf of bay leaves, chopped
- ½ bottle red wine
- grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, or Pecorino cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a casserole and sauté the onion, celery and chopped carrot.
- Crush the sausages with the prongs of a fork and add to the sauté.
- Skim off the fat if necessary, pour over the red wine, allow to evaporate, and add the mushrooms.
- Fry gently and add the tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another casserole, boil 6 cups of salted water.
- Pour in the flour very slowly, stirring carefully with a wooden spoon to avoid lumps forming.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 45 minutes.
- At the end, put a spoonful of the polenta obtained in this way into each bowl, then one of sauce, and top with a generous helping of grated cheese.
- Continue like this for each plate, layer upon layer, until all the sauce is used up.