This recipe calls for Red Peppers pureed into a cream sauce and poured over your favorite pasta.
It’s a nice change from traditional tomato sauce.
You can roast the peppers yourself if you have the time or you can use a jar of roasted peppers.
The first way is better of course, but the second way will work just as well.
Sweet Red Peppers roasted to perfection and added to chicken broth and cream makes an ideal sauce for a variety of different foods, not just pasta.
This sauce is also excellent poured over pan seared scallops or shrimp.
- 4 red bell peppers or a 12oz jar of roasted peppers
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 bunch of long green onions
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 Tbl butter
- 2 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pound box of Penne,Spaghetti or your favorite pasta
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated (optional)
- Brush peppers with vegetable oil and place on a cookie sheet.
- Place the peppers on the top rack under the broiler.
- Roast peppers on one side until charred. Watch so they don’t burn.
- Turn the peppers over and roast the other side.
- Remove peppers and place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let stand for around 15 minutes to let the steam help loosen the skin.
- When peppers are cooled remove the stem and seeds.
- Peel off skin. Diced peppers into chunks.
- Place the peppers in a food processor or blender and puree.
- While blending slowly add the chicken broth and whipping cream, salt and pepper.
- In a large saucepan sauté onions and garlic in the olive oil and butter for 2 minutes.
- Stir the pepper mixture into the saucepan and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil for another minute.
- In 6 quarts of boiling water cook pasta and drain.
- Plate the pasta and spoon over the sauce. Serves 4 people