Paradise cake is one of the most traditional Italian desserts. Light and airy, this cake is fairly simple to make and is considered a cornerstone of Italian pastry.
SERVING: Serves 6
- 1 lb butter
- 1 lb confectioners sugar
- 4 eggs
- 10 egg yolks
- vanilla powder (or vanilla extract) to taste
- 11 oz all-purpose flour
- 10 oz potato starch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- lemon zest to taste
- Remove the butter from the refrigerator 20 to 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Once the butter is soft, whisk the butter in a bowl with the confectioner’s sugar either whisking by hand or with an electric whisk.
- Once the mixture is light and creamy, add the eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, and continue whisking.
- Then add grated lemon peel and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder and sift both together.
- Return to the bowl and mix in the vanilla and potato starch.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix together well, using a wooden spoon.
- Grease a round cake pan with butter.
- Flour lightly, then our in the cake batter, filling the pan to 2/3rds.
- Bake in a 350° F oven for 35 minutes, then remove and let cool.
- Once cool, remove the cake from the pan by flipping it out onto a serving dish or cake stand.
- Finish by dusting with confectioner’s sugar.
- Your Paradise cake is ready to be served.
Source and picture:Academia Barilla