These Little Knots are more like a sweet, frosted bread than a cookie.
The Italians dunk these treats in coffee or a sweet dessert wine at the end of a large meal.
A satisfying dessert that is not over-filling!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and stir in almond extract and milk.
- Sift together baking powder and flour and stir gradually into butter mixture to from dough. Chill dough for at least one hour.
- Pinch off pieces of dough about the size of a large walnut. Shape dough into small rope-like pieces and twist into a small knot.
- Place knots on a greased cookie sheet about 1-inch apart and bake in a 325° F oven approximately 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from cookie sheet, cool and frost with frosting.
Source Imperial Sugar