The exquisite Italian Lemon Taralli. Homemade orange flavored taralli, baked then coated with sweet and tangy lemon icing and colored confetti.
Nestle one or two lemon taralli next to your favorite coffee or tea.
A perfect treat for the holidays.
SERVINGS: Makes 10 taralli
- 2 cups of sifted flour (bread flour) or all purpose flour
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. ammonium carbonate (or baking soda)
Grated zest of 1 orange
1 tsp. olive oil or extra virgin
1 tbsp. orange liqueur-( or triple orange liqueur)
Colored Sprinkles (confetti), optional
Preparing the Dough:
- Prepare by Hand or Use Mixer.
- Make a well with flour, break eggs, add baking powder, ammonium carbonate (baking soda), olive oil, orange zest, orange liqueur, sugar and beat continuously grabbing the flour little by little.
- Once you have incorporated all the flour, work well for 5 minutes to ensure tenderness.
- Let the dough settle by placing the dough in a piece of wax paper for 15 minutes and refrigerate.
- Grease a large baking sheet with butter.
Forming the Braided Taralli:
- Begin to take one piece of the dough, stretching it into an elongated rope about 12 inches long.
- Bring the two ends to match together and begin to overlap the dough until you reach the bottom.
- Swing the end of the dough to meet the loop on top and seal.
- Place each taralli on a greased baking pan separating them by 2 inches apart.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (180 C) oven for 10-12 minutes until the bottoms look golden brown.
- Remove and cool on rack.
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- l tsp. lemon liqueur (such as Limoncello)
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and beat with electric mixer incorporating all the sugar.
- The mix should be thick and creamy.
- Brush the taralli with the creamy icing and immediately sprinkle with colored sprinkles (optional).