The Italian lemon meatballs or Polpette Al limone. These are not the same old meatballs, or at least they’re not the same meatballs that I usually make!
SERVING: Serves 4
- 400gr (1.75 – 14oz) minced veal
- 100gr (0.44cup – 3.5oz) mortadella, minced 4tbs grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 4tbs bread crumbs
- 1 pinch of powder ginger
- 2tbs corn starch
- juice of 2 lemons*
- zest of 2 lemons*
- vegetable broth
- extra virgin olive oil
- Mix together meat, mortadella, parmesan, breadcrumbs, egg, salt and pepper until thoroughly blended.
- Prepare with the mixture small meatballs, walnut-sized, then flour them with corn starch.
- Now take a large saucepan and heat some olive oil.
- Cook the meatballs for five minutes at medium heat, adding a little more oil as necessary.
- Pour in lemon zest and juice, add some broth (few tablespoons) and keep cook at low heat for 40 minutes.
- Serve hot.