These Italian homemade lemon curd thumbprint cookies are pure perfection!
A combination of sweet buttery cookies and citrusy topping with a hint of almonds!
LEMON CURD EASY THUMBPRINT COOKIE RECIPE TIPS:
- Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Wrap the dough tightly and chill for an hour before baking.
- Use a small cookie scoop for even dough portions.
- Use a chapstick tube (or other round object like a 1/2 teaspoon measure or cork wine stopper) to make even indentations in your dough balls before baking.
- Then use the tube again after they come out of the oven to deepen the indentations so they can hold lots of delicious lemon curd!
- Once cool, use a pastry bag for even filling with lemon curd. Or a small spoon works too. (I like to use a baby spoon.)
- Easily make the cookie shells ahead and freeze. Right before you need them, fill with lemon curd. Yum!
Here’s a buttery shortbread Lemon Curd Easy Thumbprint Cookie Recipe for cheerful springtime baking!
Buttery shortbread cookies nest dollops of delicious puckery sweet and tangy lemon curd.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Lemon Curd, or store-bought
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Line two half-sheet-pan baking sheets with parchment or nonstick liners.
Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with mixer until well blended.
Beat in yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt.
Then beat in flour just until moist clumps form. Gather dough together in bowl to bind.
Shape scant tablespoons of dough into 1-inch balls.
Place balls on prepared sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart.
Using a floured finger or something that will give a good round shape (I used the back of a small pestle), make a deep indentation in center of each ball.
Bake cookies until firm and lightly golden on bottom, about 18 to 20 minutes.
Remove cookies from oven and immediately fill indentations with curd.
Return to oven and bake 2 minutes longer to set curd.
Bake remaining cookies. Lightly dust edges with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Serve your lemon curd thumbprint cookies. Enjoy!