The Italian hazelnut and chocolate cake. This is a wonderful Italian “flourless” torte that combines the taste of hazelnuts and bittersweet chocolate to perfection.
SERVING: Makes 1 (10-inch by 2-inch) cake.
- 8 ounces hazelnuts, roasted and peeled
- 1/2 cup supefine sugar
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 8 eggs, separated
- Cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar or melted chocolate, for decoration
- Butter a round 10×2-inch cake pan (a 10-inch springform pan may be used). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
- In a food processor, pulse the nuts until coarsely chopped. Set aside. Process the chocolate until coarsely chopped. Add to the chopped nuts.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until light and ribbony.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the nuts and chocolate into the egg yolk mixture. Carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture. Fill the prepared cake pan 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until center is springy. Remove from the oven and cool on a baking rack.
- Invert cake onto serving plate, or if using a springform pan release sides of pan and transfer cake to serving plate. Dust cake with cocoa powder and/or confectioners’ sugar or decorate with melted chocolate.
- Your hazelnut and chocolate cake can now be served.
If desired, use a cake stencil to make an attractive design on top of torte with cocoa and/or confectioners’ sugar.