The Italian fried calamari best recipe. The following breading for calamari is similar but I added a few ingredients for flavor and heat. I soak the squid in milk so it is tender.
You may serve this with marinara sauce and lemon. Try this also with shrimp as well.
Here is a link to ChefTalk regarding some often asked questions about frying calamari.
This is great for the Christmas Eve Feast!
SERVING: Yield 1 pound
- 8 oz All purpose flour
- 8 oz Corn starch
- 2 oz Fine Semolina ( blend if necessary)
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tbs Dry parsley
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 pound clean squid with tentacles, bodies cut into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick rings, soaked in 2 cups milk for an hour.
- Lemon to serve (I like hot sauce as well!)
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 2 large eggs beaten
- Pour enough oil into a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches.
- Heat over medium heat to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Working in small batches, dip the calamari into egg wash then drain and toss the squid into the flour mixture to coat.
- Carefully add the squid to the oil and fry until crisp and very pale golden, about 1 minute per batch.
- Don’t cook too long or they get tough.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the fried calamari to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Place the fried calamari and lemon wedges on a clean plate.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and serve with the marinara sauce.
- Enjoy your Italian Fried Calamari.