Here is the best recipe for Italian Focaccia with tomatoes. A genuine symbol of the Italian art of baking.
SERVINGS: Serves 4
- 1 lb Italian “00” flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 oz fresh yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅜ oz salt
- 2 onions
- 4 salted anchovies
- ⅝ lb canned tomatoes
- 20 black olives
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 leaves of basil
- oregano to taste
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- salt to taste
- Prepare the dough with the flour, yeast, milk, a tablespoon of oil and salt, leaving it to rise for at least 2 hours, covered with a dish towel.
- Meanwhile, brown in the oil the onion, chopped, then add the anchovies desalinated and broken up, the peeled, seeded tomatoes drained of their juice and roughly chopped, the basil torn into small pieces and salt to taste.
- Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Spread out the dough, in an oiled oven pan, 1.2 inches high.
- Add on top the olives pitted and cut in half, the whole cloves of garlic with their skin, the pre-prepared sauce and the oregano.
- Bake, over medium heat at 350°F for about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
The quantities to prepare the dough here indicated could slightly vary according to type of flour you will use.So keep some extra flour and water aside, in order to add them to the dough when necessary to gain the right consistency, which is a smooth and elastic dough, easy to clean off the hands and the working table.
Source: Academia Barilla