The awesome Italian eggplant millefoglie. If you like Eggplants, this is amazing recipe for you. Simple yet delightful to one’s taste.
A perfect eggplants millefoglie with tomatoes and basil.
- 1 clove garlic
- 8 ripe San Marzano (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Leaves from 2 bunches of basil
- 3 large, round, firm eggplants, cut into 1/4 inch-thick crosswise slices
- 3 ounces of aged pecorino cheese, grated
- Basil springs for garnish
- Crush the garlic clove with the flat side of a knife and peel it.
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl and toss them with garlic, the oil, half of the basil, and salt to taste.
- Heat a heavy cast-iron or stone griddle and grill the eggplant slices (without oil!) on both sides.
- On individual serving plates (or one large platter) place a slice of eggplant, and top with some of the tomato mixture, pecorino, and a few basil leaves.
- Repeat the layers until all ingredients are used.
- Garnish with basil springs.
- Serve your eggplant millefoglie at room temperature.