The Italian eggplant meat-less balls. This version of traditional meatballs, made with eggplant rather than meat, is a typical Italian appetizer and is quite easy to prepare.
SERVING: Serves 6
- 1 lb eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ oz Pecorino cheese
- frying oil
- salt and pepper
- Clean and wash the eggplants, cut them in half, put into a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and leave to cook for about 45 minutes, drain, and leave to cool.
- Prepare separately the grated bread crumbs with chopped garlic, parsley and basil, the grated cheese and the salt.
- Squeeze out the eggplants and mash them with the bread crumbs and the whole egg, amalgamating everything well so as to obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- With this mixture, prepare some elongated, fairly flat pellets, and fry them in the oil.
- These may be served hot or cold and, if desired, also covered with a spicy tomato sauce as a side dish.