An authentic Italian Easter recipe from our kitchen to yours.
Ingredients for the Cake
– 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 cups sugar
– 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 1 cup milk
– 5 large eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– Zest of 2 medium lemons
– 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Ingredients for the Glaze
– 2 cups powdered sugar
– 2 to 3 tablespoons milk or lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– Rainbow nonpareils
1. Place a baking rack in the center of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl.
3. In a separate large mixing bowl or in the bowl of your stand mixer, add the olive oil, sugar, vanilla, milk, lemon zest and lemon juice.
4. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, begin to whisk the bowl of liquid ingredients together thoroughly at low to medium speed until the sugar begins to dissolve.
5. At this point, add the eggs, one at a time, into the bowl with the liquid ingredients and continue to whisk the mixture until you have a light creamy liquid.
6. Once the eggs have been whisked into the mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mix to the mixing bowl and continue whisking until the flour is fully incorporated into the batter. Repeat this step with the other 2/3 of the flour mix.
7. Whisk the batter together well so that it is uniform in color and texture.
8. If necessary, prepare your bundt pan for baking by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray or coating it with butter and flour.
9. Pour the cake batter into the prepared bundt pan and ensure the mixture is evenly distributed throughout the pan.
10. Place the pan on the center rack in the oven and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the sides are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
11. When the cake has finished baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool for at least 2 hours before glazing.
12. When you are ready to decorate the cooled cake, prepare the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar together with the milk and vanilla to get a smooth, white, creamy icing.
13. Once the cake has cooled well, turn it out of the bundt pan onto a serving platter or cake stand.
14. Gently pour the icing over the top of the cake and sprinkle the rainbow nonpareils over the icing as desired.
15. You can wait 45 minutes to an hour until the glazing develops a hard shell over the cake to serve or you can serve immediately at room temperature.