The Ciambellone cake is one of the most classic and famous Italian cake.
- 3 eggs
- 300 grams sugar (it should be 1 1/5 cups)
- 300 grams of whole purpose flour (it should be 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- the zest of two lemons
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of salt
For the icing:
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- Preheat the oven at 325F.
- I used the Kitchenaid to whip the sugar and the eggs, then added in a few batches the flour mixed with baking powder , the salt, and the lemon zest.
- Between batches I added the water and the extra virgin olive oil. I poured the batter in a Bundt cake pan and let it bake for 50 minutes, until it was golden.
- I added the icing and let it rest for the one minute it took my husband to find it.
- The icing isn’t necessary, but I like lemony desserts. Instead of the lemon icing, nutella or jam can be used.
- Your ciambellone cake is now ready to be served.