Chocolate Tartufo is one of the easiest and most delicious Italian desserts you could make.
It’s usually made from gelato but regular ice cream works just fine.
The best part of this recipe is that you can use any flavor ice cream you desire.
I fell in love with this dessert years ago when I had it at a small neighborhood restaurant.
Ever since then I enjoy making it at home once in a while for the wife and kids.
They’re especially good for holidays.
Tartufo means truffle in Italian and is simply ice cream dipped in chocolate and covered with nuts, crushed cookies or cocoa powder and topped with a cherry and served with various fruits and sauces.
It’s sweet and delicious and should be enjoyed by the whole family.
There are many variations of this recipe but this one seems to be my families favorite.
This one is covered in Oreo cookies.
SERVING: Serves 6 people
- 1 and 1/2 pints of chocolate ice cream or gelato
- 1 dozen Oreo cookies, crushed
- 1 and 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tsp of vegetable oil
- 10oz of frozen strawberries or raspberries, thawed
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out 6 balls of ice cream.
- Roll the ice cream into the crushed cookies.
- Place the ice cream on wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze until firm.
- Heat the chocolate chips and oil in a small saucepan until chocolate is melted.
- Place the ice cream on a wire rack.
- Pour around 3 Tbls of chocolate over each ice cream ball.
- Freeze for 1 hour.
- Plate the fruit on a serving plate and top with the Tartufo.
Source and picture: http://www.great-chicago-italian-recipes.com/chocolate_tartufo.html