This chocolate pie tastes really good as a chilled dessert with seasonal berries and whipped cream or ice-cream.
The pastry shell can be bought from your local supermarket for a couple of dollars, or can be made using a short crust pastry mix.
SERVINGS: Serves 8-12
- 1 ready-made pie or tart crust
- 315mL (1 1/3 cups) double cream
- 2 level tablespoons caster (granulated) sugar
- Small pinch of salt
- 115g (4 oz./1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 455g (16 oz.) Best quality cooking chocolate, broken up into small chunks
- 100mL (1/3 to 1/2 cup) cold milk
- Place double cream, sugar, and pinch of salt in pan and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the mixture has boiled, remove from heat and add butter and chocolate.
- Stir until it has completely melted.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- While cooling, stir in at least 3/4 of the cold milk until smooth and shiny.
- Sometimes this mixture looks like a split.
- Allow mixture to cool down some and whisk in the rest of the cold milk until smooth. (If extra milk is needed that is okay).
- Scrape the mixture into the pastry shell, and allow it to cool for around 1-2 hours.
- Serve your Chocolate pie with fresh berries and ice cream.