This hearty vegetable beef soup features a ton of fresh vegetables, making it the perfect dish to use up all that summer produce.
It’s also great during cooler weather! Make sure you serve this Italian soup with some breadsticks, rolls or flaky biscuits.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup fresh Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 cup chopped fresh kale
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion over medium-high heat, until browned, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cook, covered, on low until carrots are tender, 5-6 hours.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen tipsOur tasting panel thought the flavor was almost like an Italian cabbage roll.Turn this into a main dish by adding more ground beef.
1 cup: 127 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.