A delicious apple pie from Tuscany!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 lbs Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced (about 6 apples)
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 1/4 cup Calvados**
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 Tbsp baking powder (that’s correct, I swear!)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
To coat the pan:
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place sliced apples in a medium bowl; add lemon juice and Calvados and toss well.
- In a medium glass or metal bowl, beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form, about 5-6 minutes.
- In another medium bowl, combine butter, sugar, and egg yolks. Mix with a hand mixer until well combined. Add sifted flour, baking powder, and spices, and mix until well combined.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter, then fold in the apple slices.
- Coat a 9-10 -inch spring form pan with cooking spray. Add 1 Tbsp of butter in small pieces to the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar. Pour the batter on top, and smooth it out with a spatula.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. Then bake for 50-60 minutes at 325 degrees F or until a knife inserted comes out clean and the top is golden brown and puffed up.
- Your delicious apple pie is now ready to be served!
**Calvados is an apple brandy available at liquor stores and some supermarkets.
Recipe from: http://oneforthetable.com/Food-Family-and-Memory/finding-solace-in-tuscan-torta-di-mele.html