Here is the The Italian Almond Tart or Torta Sbrisolona. Great served with a cup of coffee or a glass of sweet dessert wine, sbrisolona will win your favor with its crumbly texture and simple yet irresistible flavor.
SERVING: Yield 6 servings
- 1½ pounds all-purpose flour
- 1¼pounds unsalted butter, cold
- 1 pound granulated sugar
- 4 ounces egg yolks
- ½ ounce baking powder
- Zest from 1 lemon, grated
- 1¾ ounces almonds, chopped
- 7/8 pounds cornmeal or polenta
- Heat an oven to 350°F. Butter a springform pan.
- Blend all of the ingredients in a large bowl, rubbing the butter between your fingers to blend it into the other ingredients and create a “pebbles and sand” texture.
- Lightly press the mixture into the pan.
- Sprinkle the top with the chopped almonds.
- Bake the tart in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve as Almond tart dessert, breakfast or an afternoon dolce.