Here is the Italian Almond Cannoli Pie. A blender creates an extra smooth pie and mini chocolate chips give it an authentic cannoli touch.
SERVINGS: Serves 8
15 minutes to assemble
65 minutes to bake (combined times)
Total time: 80 minutes
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT:
9 inch pie plate (not deep dish)
- 1 uncooked pie shell, homemade or store bought
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 2 eggs
- 1-16 oz container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1-7 oz box almond paste, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pre-bake pie shell by lining uncooked shell with parchment or foil and filling bottom with pie weights, uncooked rice or dried beans*.
- Bake pie shell for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.
- Carefully remove filled lining and turn temperature down to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, add Half & Half, eggs, ricotta, sugar, Almond Paste, extract and salt to a blender. Blend on high until ingredients are smooth.
- Mix in chocolate chips and pour mixture into pie shell. Decorate outside edge of ricotta with a ring of almonds.
- Bake pie for 50 minutes or until set and place on wire rack (away from drafts) to cool.
- The middle can be slightly soft, it will continue to cook (firm up) out of the oven.
- When pie is at room temperature, refrigerate 3 hours before cutting.
*TEST KITCHEN TIP:
Dried rice or beans make inexpensive pie weights.
Cool completely and save in a plastic bag or container for future use.
For an extra decorative tip, mix 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips to garnish of sliced almonds and sprinkle around edge of pie.