This winner, winner, chicken dinner recipe will help you set
a delicious meal before your family in almost as much time
as it takes to cook the rice.
SERVING: Serves 4
¼ CUP VEGETABLE OIL
1 ONION – thinly sliced, 2 cups
FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1 TB FRESHLY GRATED GINGER – or to taste
3-4 GARLIC CLOVES – minced or finely chopped
3 TBS TOMATO PASTE
2 TSPS CORIANDER
1 TSP PAPRIKA
¾ CUP CHICKEN BROTH
1 CINNAMON STICK
2 LBS CHICKEN THIGHS – boneless, skinless – cut into bite size pieces
JASMINE RICE – steamed according to directions
- Melt butter in your instant pot set to high.
- When hot, add onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often until turned golden brown – about 12 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, coriander, paprika, chili powder and cinnamon stick, and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in broth.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pot.
- Secure the lid of the pot, adjust vent to seal and cook om high “pressure cook” setting for 4 or 5 minutes. When time is finished , turn off the pot and manually release pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and be ready to serve.
- In the meantime, have rice steaming.
- Serve with yogurt, cilantro, lime wedges and flatbread.
NOTE: Our daughter is the owner of the instant pot, so this is really her recipe. I don’t have one, but I like this meal so much that I have cooked it in my cooker. Of course, it takes longer but it still is a dish that I can start in the morning and deliver at dinner after a busy day and I can use our favorite chicken and leave the bone-in and skin on. For comfort, I increase the broth to 1 cup and if I have time I will brown the chicken quickly in a skillet before adding to the cooker.