The Iceberg wedge with a blue cheese dressing. This is my very old and reliable blue cheese dressing. It also is so multi-functional which is why I have used it for so long and in so many ways. With a little imagination it can become a flavorful dip for crudites or a dressing for a seafood salad or cold cooked vegetables.
- 1 cup Hellman’s Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 solid head iceberg lettuce
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 garlic clove – minced or pulverized
- 4-5 oz blue cheese – crumbled
- ½ lb market bacon – low sodium
- Remove outer leaves from lettuce, cut into wedges and trim core.
- Cook the bacon until crispy but not charred and crumble it.
- You can buy the blue cheese in a wedge or already crumbled.
- Thin the mayonnaise with the buttermilk pouring in slowly until you reach a desired pouring consistency. You may or may not use all the buttermilk. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, garlic (which is pulverized to the point of being barely visible) and season with freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Mix well.
- Cut the lettuce into 6-8 wedges, depending on your need and place on salad plates. Spoon the dressing over each wedge allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Scatter the crumbled bacon over each wedge.
- Serve immediately your Iceberg wedge with a blue cheese dressing as this is best enjoyed when very cold.