Here is the delightful Hummingbird bundt cake. It’s an easy dessert but it is so full of fruit that it would probably pass for a breakfast sweet, too!
- 1 ½ cups pecans – chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon – ground
- 3 eggs – large, beaten
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple – undrained
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ⅓ cups bananas – ripe, mashed
- 1 ½ vanilla extract – or to taste
- ¾ cup canola oil
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease and flour large 12-14 cup bundt pan.
- Place pecans in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for about 8 – 10 minutes or until toasted. Good idea to move around pan after about 5 minutes. Cool before adding to cake mix.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in the beaten eggs, mix in well and then add 1 1/3 cups mashed bananas (3-4 large), crushed pineapple with juice, canola oil, 1 cup pecans, and vanilla extract. Stir all just until dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon into prepared Bundt pan and bake in preheated oven for about 60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean and the top of the cake is firm to the touch.
- Place pan on wire rack to cool for about 15 – 20 minutes. Then remove cake from pan and continue cooling on wire rack until completely cooled – about 2 or 2 ½ hours.
- When cooled complete frost with the following glaze:
4 OZ CREAM CHEESE – room temp and cubed
2 CUPS POWDERED SUGAR – sifted
1 TB VANILLA EXTRACT
1 – 2 TBS MILK
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or electric mixer and pulse or beat slowly until well blended. If glaze is too thick add a drop or two of more milk and mix in. If glaze is too thin, add more powdered sugar until the right consistency is achieved. Sprinkle with toasted pecans.
NOTE: Sift the powdered sugar when making the glaze to make sure the glaze comes out lump free. My family loves frosting so I usually increase it by another half witout the exception of the milk which I still start out with 2 tablespoons and go from there.