In Italian, this is called tagliolini al prosciutto sugo alla crema di semi di papavero. This pasta will make you feel like you are eating in the foothills of the alps!
This is the breathtaking little village of Alpe Devero. It’s at the foothills of the Ligurian alps.
- 1-pound dry tagliolini pasta
- 2 ¼-inch thick slices Prosciutto Di San Daniele, plus 6 very thin slices
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the prosciutto slices into ¼-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Add the pasta and cook just until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, warm the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium low heat. Add the cubed prosciutto and sauté it until lightly browned – about 3 minutes.
- Add the cream and simmer until reduced to a nice thick sauce – about 7-8 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and then toss in the pan with the cream and prosciutto. Add the poppy seeds and toss again. Check the seasonings and add salt, if needed. Keep in mind that the prosciutto will also be adding salt to the dish.
- Transfer the pasta to a platter and sprinkle with a grind or two of black pepper and some more poppy seeds. Drape some thin prosciutto slices over the pasta and serve immediately.
- Enjoy your tagliolini in prosciutto and poppy seed cream sauce!