Looking for a Light, Lemony and Delicious Dessert. This lemon meringue pie will please no matter what the season!
- 7 EGGS – separated
- ZEST FROM TWO LEMONS
- 1 ¼ CUPS SUGAR
- ½ TSP CREAM OF TARTAR
- ½ CUP LEMON JUICE – freshly squeezed
- 3 TBS CORN STARCH
- 1 TB FLOUR
- 1 9 or 10-inch PIE CRUST – prebaked
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a double boiler (not aluminum) with simmering water, add the egg yolks and whisk slowly while adding 1 cup of sugar, 3 Tbs cornstarch, 1 Tb flour and lemon juice.
- When all is incorporated, continue to whisk until the mixture is quite thick.
- Stir in the lemon zest and remove from the heat to allow to cool.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks, incorporate 1/3 of the egg whites into the cooled lemon mixture using a spatula and mix in thoroughly.
- Pour into the baked pie crust.
- Add the remaining sugar with the cream of tartar to the remaining egg whites, a little at a time, beating after each addition until almost stiff but not dry.
- Pile it on the lemon filling covering it completely to seal the edges.
- Swirl the top to make it fluffy and not flat.
- Place the pie on the middle shelf of the oven and bake until you see the meringue starting to brown.
- Be careful as it can easily burn.
- Depending on your oven this can take between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving or refrigerating.
- Lemon meringue pie is now ready to be served!
Note: Since my family likes mile high meringue, if I have additional egg whites in the refrigerator, I will add a few more and increase the sugar a little and use 1 Tsp cream of tartar. This makes a very nice presentation.