The Italian hot pepper oil. This spicy oil is good for drizzling on lots of things besides pizza—bean soups, crostini of all kinds, and steamed or boiled greens or vegetables, to name just a few.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1 small rosemary sprig
- In a small stainless steel saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat to 120°F (use an instant-read thermometer).
- Turn off the heat and add the red pepper flakes and fennel seeds.
- Let steep until cool. Strain if desired.
- Pour the oil into a clean jar, add the rosemary sprig, and store at cool room temperature.
- Your hot pepper oil can now complete your dish.