I just want to share that this eggplant meat casserole was my very first company meal as a young bride. It’s a must-try recipe!
- 1 lb. ground beef round
- 6 Italian mild pork sausages – removed from casing
- 2 eggplants – large, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow or orange pepper
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 – 3/4 lb. mozzarella
- 3 onions chopped
- 1 clove garlic – crushed
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2/3 – 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- In a skillet, sauté the beef in butter. Add onions and cook until golden. Then add the tomato puree, basil, oregano, yellow or orange pepper, salt, garlic and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In another skillet, sauté the sausage meat until browned.
- Peel and slice the eggplant in thin cuts. Dip the slices into the eggs and sauce them in hot oil until both sides are golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- Arrange 1/3 of the meat sauce from step 1 and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Then top with 1/3 of the sausage meat. Repeat until all is used ending with mozzarella on top. Bake at 350°F (180°C ) for approximately one hour.
- You made it! Have a lot of tasty bites with this eggplant casserole.
Note: If you prefer, you can brown the sausage links wholly and then slice and add over the mozzarella as you would the sausage meat.
My Short Story with This Recipe as a Young Bride
We married in June and immediately after returning from our Bermuda honeymoon, we moved to Maryland. For a young girl born and raised in the heart of New York City, it was traumatizing and a real eye-opener. I felt like I was in the deep south! This was my very first attempt, as a young bride, at cooking for a company when we lived in Maryland, and this eggplant recipe always made a hit, so I stuck with it. It’s still a favorite so many years later.
Just add some crusty Italian bread and a salad.