Here’s a simple way to cook buttered fennel with cheese! In Italian, we call this recipe as “finocchio al burro e formagio”.
Fact: Fennel is one of the world’s oldest known edible plants and it’s a good source of fiber.
- 8 fennel bulbs – trimmed, quartered
- 5 tbsp. butter – unsalted
- ¼ cup Romano or parmigiano cheese – freshly grated
- black pepper – freshly ground
- salt – to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the fennel and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes, then drain well.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the fennel then season with salt and pepper and cook. Turn the fennel occasionally to coat with the butter. Cook just until tender, about 12 – 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a warm serving dish and sprinkle with your favorite freshly grated cheese.
- Serve and enjoy your buttery and cheesy fennel!