Get to know the secret behind cooking a perfect almond toffee tart.
- 2 CUPS FLOUR
- 3 TBS SUGAR
- ¾ CUP BUTTER – cold and diced
- 2 EGGS –room temp
- 1 ½ CUPS HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
- 1 ½ CUPS SUGAR
- ½ TSP LEMON ZEST – freshly grated
- PNCH OF SALT
- 2 CUPS SLICED AMONDS – toasted and cooled – single layer on baking sheet at 325º for 12 minutes
- ½ TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- ¼ TST ALMOND EXTRACT
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- You can very easily make the shell in a food processor, pulsing together the flour, sugar and butter.
- When all combined add the eggs and pulse until it all comes together like wet sand. Be very careful to not over mix.
- Dump this all into your greased and floured tart pan and press the dough evenly over the bottom and up the sides of an 11-12” tart pan that has a removable bottom.
- Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 12-15 minutes and until it is a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, set aside and raise oven temp to 375º.
- To make the filling, in a large saucepan combine the cream, lemon zest and salt.
- Bring this to a boil over med-high heat, stirring constantly for about 6-8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook while still stirring for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the nuts, vanilla and almond extracts and spread the mixture into the pastry shell.
- Place the shell on a baking sheet and bake until a light brown for 30-35 minutes for 12-inch tart and 35-40 minutes for 11-inch tart.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack until warm. Carefully remove the sides and serve your almond toffee tart. Or cover and serve later.
This is great served with a squirt of whipped cream and makes a very nice dessert or a delicious sweet satisfying snack.