- ½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Red or White Onion – chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves – chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks – sliced thin
- 10 Savoy Cabbage Leaves – chopped
- 4 –5 Carrots – chopped
- 2 Tomatoes – seeded and chopped
- 1 Large Potato – cut into small cubes
- 1/3 Cup Barley
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice
- Stock or Water
- ¼ Cup Parsley – roughly chopped
- In a large saucepan heat the oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots and cook for 8 – 10 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir often so as not to burn.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, potato and mix all together.
- Pour over all this enough stock or water to cover all the vegetables. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium and cook for about 15 minutes.
- In another pot bring 4 cups of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the rice and cook until almost done.
- Drain and stir into the pot with the vegetables.
- Add the parsley.
- Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes. Do not let boil.
- Taste for salt and pepper and serve hot.
- Note: Instead of stock and chopped tomatoes you can add one 28 oz can of San Marzano peeled tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes by squeezing in your hand before adding to the soup pot.