This is a recipe created by “Stretch” in the Belmont Tavern in Bloomfield NJ. It became a favorite with many of the restaurant’s patrons and had to be added to the daily menu. I read about it in one of the many food magazines we get, and it became a favorite of ours too.
This dish is best served with a side of buttered rice.
- 3-4 lbs chicken – cut in 8 pieces
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/3 cup romano cheese – grated
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper the chicken pieces and sauté in the oil in a large ovenproof skillet until the skin is golden brown.
- Using a mortar and pestle or a small food processor, make a paste with everything but the red wine vinegar and spread the paste evenly over the skin of the chicken.
- Transfer skillet to a 500º preheated oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until chicken is done.
- Remove from oven – pour off the fat and add 1 cup red wine vinegar to the pan.
- Spoon sauce over the chicken and serve chicken with the remainder of the vinegar sauce on the side.