Dolce di Pistachio
Never leave the meal yet without a taste of this amazing pistachio delight!
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ½ pint heavy cream
- 2 eggs – well beaten
- 1 tbsp. liqueur – your favorite
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- Soften the gelatin in cold water. Scald the milk in the top of a double boiler, add gelatin, sugar and nuts, then stir until the gelatin and sugar are dissolved.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture over the well beaten eggs, stirring as you do so. Make sure that the eggs will not be cooked by the hot milk’s heat. Return to the double boiler.
- Cook over high, but not to boiling heat, until slightly thickened. Do not allow the custard to boil.
- When the mixture is slightly thickened, remove from heat, cool just a bit and then chill until thickened but not completely set.
- Whip the cream until stiff and fold into the custard mixture. Fold in desired liqueur (I use Amaretto) and pour into a 1-quart mold or individual serving cups. Chill at least 4 hours before serving.
There you have it, a terrific pistachio delight that is so simple and delicious!