It’s time to treat yourself with a comforting and incredible mussel stew!
- 6 lbs. mussels
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 additional garlic clove
- 1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
- an additional ¼ cup of finely chopped Italian parsley
- 24 small slices crusty Italian bread – grilled
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper – to taste
- Leave the mussels in their shells and scrub them very well.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized pot over high heat. When the oil is well-heated, add the mussels with the pepper, parsley, salt and chopped garlic.
- Toss everything around in the oil for a few minutes and always remember not to burn the garlic.
- Add the wine and cook it while it’s covered until all the mussels have opened and the liquid is reduced by half. Check and discard any mussels that did not open.
- Prepare 4-6 bowls by lining each bowl with slices of the bread that are rubbed well with the garlic clove.
- Ladle some of the liquid into each bowl, then add the mussels and sprinkle with the extra parsley for garnish. Chopped basil is also a good substitute for the parsley garnish.
- Serve and enjoy your Rustic and Refreshing Mussel Stew!
Note: A small side dish of spaghetti will go well with this dish because there will be ample sauce to flavor the pasta. Add a small plain salad and dinner is complete!