Enjoy these holiday sugar cookies for Christmas. They’re easy to make and kids will love to help you decorate them.
SERVING: Makes 3 dozen soft sugar cookies
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- Decorator sugars or sprinkles
- In large mixer bowl combine sugar and butter.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add eggs, vanilla and orange peel; continue beating until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Reduce speed to low.
- Beat, adding flour mixture alternately with sour cream and scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes).
- Divide dough into thirds; wrap in plastic food wrap.
- Refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours).
- Heat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On lightly floured surface roll out dough, one portion at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with 3-inch cookie cutters.
- Place 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
- Sprinkle cookies with decorator sugars or sprinkles or bake plain.
- Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
Source and picture DianaDesserts