Savoiardi, also know as Lady Fingers are classic Italian sponge biscuits, used as the basis for many desserts but especially enjoyable with a hot cup of coffee or a small glass of Vin Santo.
- 2 eggs – separated
- ¼ cup sugar – plus a little extra
- 1 cup + 2 tbs flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- Preheat your oven to 350º and line a 10 X 14-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and with an electric mixer beat on medium speed for about 12-15 minutes.
- In a clean bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks and then gently fold them into the egg yolks.
- In a small bowl, sift together all the flour, baking powder and cornstarch. Fold the mixture a little at a time into the egg mixture until all completely combined.
- Spoon the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and form 1 ½-inch long logs on the baking sheet, spacing them so that they do not stick together as they spread while baking.
- Sprinkle with a little additional sugar and bake for 10 – 12 minutes (checking after 8) until they are golden.
- Let the cookies cool completely before serving or storing or using to make a dessert.
Note: These cookies can be used for many desserts and especially for Tira mi -su! If just serving as a dessert cookie, sprinkle with powdered sugar after completely cooled.