I never really think very often about cooking with pineapple.
It always seems more like a dessert item. But we are here in
Hawaii where pineapple offerings are endless and this is one
we enjoyed so I thought a good time to share.
1 CUP UNSWEETENED PINEAPPLE JUICE
¾ CUP KETCHUP
½ CUP SOY SAUCE – low sodium
½ CUP BROWN SUGAR – light
1 LB CHICKEN BREASTS – boneless
FRESHLY GRATED GINGER – to taste
3 GARLIC CLOVES – minced
1 PINEAPPLE – peeled, sliced into rings
1 TSP CANOLA OIL
GREEN ONIONS – for garnishing
- In a large bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. Place chicken, that has been pounded lightly, (skin on or off, your choice) in a large resealable bag and pour the marinade overall, place in refrigerator and let marinate for at least 3 hours, turning the bag a few times so that all coat well.
- Heat your grill on high heat and add chicken. Baste during grilling several times until charred.
- Toss pineapple with oil and grill for about 2-3 minutes or until charred. Optionally pour a little marinade over the rings during grilling.
- Serve chicken with grilled pineapple and green onions.
One last pineapple recipe before we have to say “Aloha”!
PINEAPPLE AND FRUIT LOAVES
Perfect for the holidays and pretty enough
to give as gifts.
1 CUP BROWN SUGAR – firmly packed
1 TSP VANILLA
2/3 CUP BUTTER – softened
3 EGGS – room temp, lightly beaten
½ CUP CANDIED CHERRIES – chopped
1 CAN (8 0Z) CRUSHED PINEAPPLE – in juice, well drained, juice reserved
2 TBS RESERVED PINEAPPLE JUICE
½ TSP BAKING SODA
½ TSP NUTMEG – or to taste
1 2/3 CUPS SELF RISING FLOUR – sifted
½ CUP GOLDEN RAISINS
½ CUP PECANS – chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease and flour 4 small loaf pans.
- In a large bowl mix brown sugar (light or dark, your choice), butter and eggs until light and creamy. Add reserved pineapple juice and vanilla and mix well with a wooden spoon. Mix until just moistened. Fold in pineapple, cherries, and pecans. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack. Dust with powdered sugar or make a light glaze and sprinkle with sweetened coconut flakes.
NOTE: This recipe also goes well with almond flavoring instead of vanilla. For the holidays decorate with colored confetti.