Here is my grandma’s savory potato cake. You will be surprised by the great flavors in this dish, traditionally from the Campania region in southern Italy.
SERVINGS: Serves 4
- 2 lb potatoes
- 3 oz butter
- 3 oz grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz ham, or salami
- 3 ½ oz mozzarella cheese
- 3 ½ oz Provola cheese, smoked
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes, peel while hot and mash with a potato masher, collecting them in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, salt, pepper, half the butter, grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and chopped ham (or sausage crumbled).
- Stir everything until well-blended.
- Slice the mozzarella and provolone and set aside.
- Butter a baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Add half the potato mixture, level using your hands and arrange the slices of mozzarella and provolone on top.
- Finish by adding the remaining potatoes and level off the surface.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, top with a few knobs of butter and bake in oven at 400 °F, until the cake is golden.
- Serve hot or warm by letting it cool for 20 minutes.
Source and picture: Academia Barilla