Here is a no-fuss Ricotta Pound Cake – the easiest cake that’s not from a box. One of the most famous and delicious cake from Italy!
- 1 1/2 c cake flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 c unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c fresh whole-milk ricotta
- 1 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and place rack in center.
- Grease and flour 9-inch loaf pan.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter, ricotta, and sugar until smooth and light.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping sides of bowl after each addition.
- If you have a vanilla bean (I didn’t), split it lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with the blunt side of a small knife, then beat them into the batter along with the vanilla extract. I just used another teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- On low speed, beat in dry ingredients to combine them, scrape down sides of the bowl, and beat the batter for 30 seconds on medium.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth top with a spatula. Tap pan on counter a few times to remove air pockets.
- Put cake in oven and let bake for 15 minutes, then turn 180 degrees to ensure even browning. Lower the temperature to 325°F (160°C) and let bake until cake springs back when lightly touched, the sides of the cake have pulled away from the sides of the pan, and a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes more. For some reason, mine took another 35 minutes, so do keep a close eye on it.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert it on wire rack to cool completely. Mine came right out of the pan like no other loaf I’ve made before–the browned outside is key here.
- Dust your Ricotta Pound cake with confectioner’s sugar before serving.
Kathy11/18/2020 at 2:20 am
They all look incredible!