From my Grandma’s memories, this Italian Ham Pie or Pizza Rustica is one of the most delicious Italian recipe.
SERVING: Serves 4 to 6
3 cup of flour
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/8 cup milk
1 lb. sweet sausage
1 small Mozzarella cheese, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup grated cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
4 raw eggs (additional)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Mix the flour and sugar together.
- Make a well in the center, add the 3 eggs, shortening and milk, mixing together until dough is easy to handle.
- Divide in half; roll out one portion and fit into 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Cover other half until later.
- Parboil sausage 8 minutes and cut into small pieces.
- Mix sausage with remainder of ingredients and spread in crust.
- Roll out remaining dough and fit on top of mixture.
- Seal edges; cut slit in top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven until crust is golden brown.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Brush tops with a mixture of 1 well-beaten egg and 1 tablespoon of milk (makes crust shiny).