Grandma’s easy authentic marinara sauce. The sailors at sea prepared this tomato sauce that is why it is called sailor’s style marinara. It is a sauce to go with pasta quickly made and few ingredients are necessary.
Either bottled or canned preserved tomatoes are used.
This sauce requires very little cooking and if it is too tangy it can be made more palatable with a bit of sugar.
Canned San Marzano tomatoes from Italy are used. Due to the low acidity, It is not usually necessary to add sugar.
The basic ingredients are canned tomato with basil, garlic, a pinch of oregano, oil, salt and pepper.
Nothing else is added to make a true marinara sauce.
Makes about 3 cups of sauce
(Condiment for 1 LB. of Pasta)
- 1 can 28 oz. peeled tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic slightly crushed
- A pinch of oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sugar optional
- In a 3 quart saucepan, sauté the oil and garlic over medium heat until the garlic is golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour tomatoes into a large bowl, squash them with you hands and put them into the saucepan.
- Add salt, pepper and oregano, put mixture back on the stove at medium heat.
- Cook 20 to 30 minutes, if too tart add some sugar.
Recipe from: https://siciliancookingplus.com/recipe-items/marinara-sauce/