Here is grandma’s gratifying Italian wedding soup. Chicken broth and meatballs make an easy family dinner.
SERVINGS: Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 16 cooked beef meatballs (from 22-oz bag)
- 1/3 cup uncooked rosamarina or orzo pasta
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add broth; heat to boiling. Stir in meatballs and pasta; return to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until pasta is almost tender.
- Add spinach; cover and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons basil.
- The orzo in this soup will continue to absorb liquid.
- If you have leftovers, just add more chicken broth to your soup.
- Purchase shredded carrots to make this even easier.