Some Tomato Soup recipes call for broth and a variety of other vegetables like carrots or celery.
This recipe is simple in ingredients and just as tasty. Enjoy!
SERVING: 4 to 6 people
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, chopped
- 3 Tbls of extra virgin olive oil
- 6 pounds of roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 3 fresh sprigs of thyme
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, warmed
- In a large pot sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions turn a golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and basil.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes until tomatoes are cooked and disintegrated.
- Let the soup cool.
- Puree the soup in small batches in a blender or food processor.
- Strain the soup to remove any seeds.
- Re-heat the tomato soup and stir in the warm whipping cream before serving.