This is my favorite Pot Roast recipe in the world. Tender and flavorful meat cooked with vegetables, wine tomatoes, herbs and spices. It’s comfort food at it’s best plus you can’t beat one pot meals. You can either cook this in a slow cooker or in the oven or on top of the stove.
Either way you’ll be pleased with the results. Chuck roast or shoulder roasts are usually tough cuts or meat so this slow cooking method works best to tenderize it. Pot Roast is mainly a comforting winter recipe but it’s great once in a while during the spring and summertime. Italians love braising meat. Especially veal shanks and pork butts.
Add this recipe to your favorites. Enjoy!
SERVINGS: Serves 4 to 6
- 3 to 4lb chuck roast
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 2 oz. of dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 8 baby portabella mushrooms, cut in half
- 3 Tbls of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbls of pancetta, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 carrots, cut into pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 8 oz. of tomato paste
- 8 small white potatoes, cut in half
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 6 cups of red wine
- 1 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1/4 cup of fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
- Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in 1 cup of hot broth for 30 minutes until they reconstitute.
- Strain the mushrooms reserving the liquid.
- Trim the stems of the porcini mushrooms.
- Wash the portabella mushrooms with a damp cloth and cut in half.
- In a large frying pan brown the roast on both sides.
- Remove the roast and drain the fat from the pan
- Sauté the pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms and garlic in the olive oil for around 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pot roast in a roasting pan.
- Add the vegetable mixture and potatoes to the pan.
- Add the bay leaves, rosemary, wine, tomatoes, parsley and remaining beef broth.
- Cook covered for 2 and a half to 3 hours turning the roast once.
- Plate the beef surrounded with the vegetables and potatoes.
Note: Remove the bay leaves before serving.