Grandma’s Italian rice fritters. These rice fritters can be served as both an appetizer and a main course.
SERVINGS: Serves 6
- 7 oz Rice
- 3 ½ oz grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 4 eggs
- breadcrumbs to taste
- frying oil to taste
- all-purpose flour to taste
- 2 cups milk
- salt to taste
- lemon zest, grated to taste
- In a pot, heat the milk with a pinch of salt.
- Once it reaches a boil, add the rice and cook until it has thickened and absorbed all the milk.
- Then, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the grated lemon peel and grated cheese.
- Once cool, add 3 egg yolks and mix well.
- Then whip the 3 egg whites using a whisk.
- Once they form stiff peaks, fold the egg whites into the rice mixture.
- Beat the remaining egg in a bowl.
- Shape the rice into small balls the size of walnuts or the size you prefer.
- Cover in flour and then in the egg wash and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the rice balls in a pan with boiling oil, making sure that they are totally immersed in the oil.
- When golden, remove using a skimmer and place on paper towels.
- Serve piping hot.
Source and picture: Academia Barilla