Here is my grandma’s secret Italian pumpkin pie recipe. The Italian version of one of the most traditional thanksgiving desserts.
SERVINGS: Serves 6
- 2 lb pumpkin
- 3 oz all-purpose flour
- 5 oz amaretti cookies or macaroons
- 3 oz sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon Grappa
- 1 pinch of baking powder
- salt to taste
- butter, to grease
- confectioners sugar to taste
- Cut the pumpkin into fairly large pieces and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake pumpkin in a 300°F for about 40 minutes so that it caramelizes.
- When done, remove the pulp of the pumpkin from the peel.
- At this point, the pulp weigh around 1 lb.
- Place pulp in a bowl and blend or pass it through a sieve to get a soft, smooth mixture.
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks.
- Whip the whites using a whisk, either electric or manual, until soft peaks form.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks with the sugar for a couple of minutes until you have a fairly clear mixture.
- Then, continue whisking while adding, one at a time, the cinnamon, cream, pumpkin puree and the flour divided into two or three parts so that it can be easily incorporated into the mixture.
- Crumble the amaretti cookies and add them to the dough.
- Mix well and add the yeast and grappa or the rum.
- Mix again, then add the whipped egg whites, folding them carefully into the mixture.
- Finish with a pinch of salt.
- Then, grease a round pie dish with butter, dust with flour and remove the excess.
- Pour the mixture into the pie pan, level it using a spatula.
- Bake in a 320°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
- When the pie is done, remove it from the oven and let cool for at least an hour.
- Then, remove it from the pan and, if you want, dust it with powdered sugar.
- You may now enjoy your pumpkin pie.
Source: Academia Barilla