Grandma’s Italian beans soup. When serving this beans soup make sure you have a fresh crusty loaf of bread ready to sop up all that extra soup left in the bottom of the bowl. Enjoy.
- 1 pound of dried beans
- 4 cups of water
- 2 Tbls of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbls of butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless smoked pork butt, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 2 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup of Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 3 15oz cans of chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the beans and cook for around 45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the beans soak for around 2 hours until beans a soft.
- Drain the beans in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat the olive oil and butter.
- Saute the onions, carrots celery and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the diced boneless pork butt, thyme, salt, pepper and parsley, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add the beans, broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer over a low flame, cover and cook for 1 to 2 hours until soup thickens. Stir occasionally during the cooking process.