My Grandma’s Italian Baked Ziti Old-style is a classic recipe filled with all the best flavors; that everyone will enjoy.
- 32 oz. Ricotta Cheese
- 16 oz. Mozzarella Cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated and divided
- 1 lb. ziti pasta
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tsp. basil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 45 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain water from pasta.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat cooking the onion, basil, and garlic until brown.
- Remove from pan into small bowl.
- Using the same pan, cook ground beef on medium-high heat until evenly brown.
- Stir in the onion mixture and the tomato sauce.
- Season with salt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix together ricotta, 1/2 of the mozzarella, 1/2 of the parmesan, and the egg until creamy.
- Mix in pasta until evenly coated.
- Grease a 9x13x3 inch baking dish.
- In the prepared dish, begin layering with 1/2 of the pasta mixture, then 1/2 of the meat mixture, followed by the other ½ of the pasta mixture.
- Next a layer of the other half of the mozzarella, finish with the remaining meat mixture.
- Finally top with the other ½ of the Parmigiano.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Classic Baked Ziti Tips:
Make sure to let it simmer! Let this all-time classic sit and cool for 5-10 minutes, this lets the flavors within the ziti marinate.
Leftovers Taste Better!
Heat oil in a frying pan to a medium heat.
Place any leftovers into the pan, rotating the slab searing the four sides until there is a slightly crisp crust.