From my Grandma’s memories, the old fashioned Italian Christmas Almond cookies.
Easy simple and delicious Italian soft almond cookies recipe!!!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or non-stick liners
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add almond extract.
- Blend flour and baking powder. Start by adding a third of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture, then add 1 Tbsp milk.
- Add another third of the flour mixture and another tablespoon of milk..
- Finally, mix in enough of the remaining flour mixture until your dough is like a brownie batter (it should be softer than a drop cookie dough).
- Use a small cookie scooper to make simple round drop cookies–use wet fingers to pat any rough edges.
- Bake cookies 10-12 minutes–they won’t be brown but the insides will be soft and cake like.
- Mix sugar, milk and extract to make a sugar glaze.
- Hold cookie in your hand and paint with finger–cover entire cookie with glaze and sit on a baking rack with wax paper underneath to catch any drippings. Immediately top with sprinkles before glaze dries.
- Allow icing to harden overnight; then store in air tight containers or freeze.
- These freeze well!
NOTES: You can use anisette instead of almond extract in these cookies. Substitute the almond extract to anisette extract in the cookie, and cut the amount of anisette to 1/8- 1/4 tsp. anisette flavoring in the glaze