Grandma’s homemade lemon curd is an all-round lemon filling (known as curd) to use to fill your lemon meringue pies, your lemon tarts or for just spreading over warm scones or toast.
You can use it as a filling for your layer cakes too!
It is so delicious that your family and friends will be begging for more and if you use it for filling your lemon meringue pies, you will definitely be asked for the recipe.
SERVING: Makes 3 cups
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 6 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp. finely grated lemon peel (optional)
- 1/2 cup juice from 2-3 medium lemons
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan.
- Gradually add water and whisk until well blended. Whisk in egg yolks, lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Boil one minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter.
- If desired, strain mixture through sieve. Cool to room temperature, without stirring.
- Makes enough to fill a 9-inch lemon meringue pie.
Note: You may use this lemon curd to fill a 9-inch lemon meringue pie or an 8 or 9-inch lemon tart, etc. It is also wonderful served over warm scones or toast.