If you want to make Italian Pizza, this is my Grandma’s basic pizza dough recipe.
Basic Pizza Dough
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110F-115F)
- 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Pizza Margherita Topping
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- One 8 ounce ball fresh fior di latte mozzarella cheese, cut into small pieces
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/2-cup warm water.
- Allow the yeast to proof until it is foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1-cup of warm water, combining it well with the yeast.
- Add 3 cups of the flour and the salt.
- Mix the dough with your hands or use a mixer with a dough hook, adding the remaining flour as needed to make dough that holds together.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead it for about 10 minutes, or until the dough is soft and not sticky.
- Grease a bowl with the olive oil. Put the dough in the bowl and turn a few times to coat with the oil.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let it rise for 2 hours in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.Punch down the dough and knead it for a few minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- Punch down the dough and knead it for a few minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each piece out on a floured surface into a 12-inch round and place the rounds on lightly oiled 13-inch pizza pans.
- Turn in the edges of the dough about 1/2 inch to form a rim.
- You can stretch the dough to fit an even larger pan if you wish.
- Place the dough on 2 wooden peels, dusted with cornmeal, if you plan to use baking stones to bake the pizza.
- Brush each round with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Slice the tomato sauce between the rounds.
- Divide the cheese and sprinkle it on top of the sauce.
- Divide the basil leaves and sprinkle them on top of the cheese.
- The divide and sprinkle on the salt and the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Bake the pizzas for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top and bottom crusts are nicely browned.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
- If using baking stones, preheat the stones in a 500ºF. oven for 20 minutes.
- Just before placing the pizza on the stone from the baking peel, sprinkle each stone with a handful of cornmeal.
- Bake the pizza for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the crust in nicely browned on the bottom.